Our School Curriculum
Wickham Market offers every child a broad and balanced curriculum. Both creativity, enrichment and character development are high on our priorities. We believe that all children perform better when they are offered a wide range of exciting learning opportunities.
Our curriculum prepares the children well for the next phase of their education. We believe it is our moral imperative to ensure that every child in our school has the best life chances.
How we adapt the curriculum and learning environment for children & young people with SEN
We adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEN:
Wickham Market Primary has a range of approaches to supporting children with SEN needs. All children benefit from quality first teaching in the classroom, which caters for their individual needs and supports all children to make good progress. Work is differentiated for different groups and individuals. Where children need additional support they will in the first instance be on a short note to address their needs.
Sometimes this is enough to ensure a child is on track but sometimes a Learning Plan will be needed with individual targets and strategies to work towards achieving them. This will be put in place in discussion with parents/carers and where appropriate the child. This would mean additional work with a child on a small group or 1:1 basis to carry out specific interventions to support a child to meet their individual targets.
The SENCO, Mrs Davies, works alongside class teachers and support staff to oversee SEN provision and monitor the progress of any child requiring additional support. Where appropriate other agencies will be asked to work alongside the school to assess a child and plan for their needs. At all stages parents/carers will be involved in the process.
To ensure all children are able to access the curriculum at an appropriate level and fulfill their potential we take some of the following actions:
- Make adaptations to ensure that all pupils have access to the school curriculum and school activities.
- Support pupils to achieve their full potential despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Ensure that staff are aware of pupil’s individual needs and teach in a way that is appropriate for them.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to develop confidence, self-esteem and resilience.
- Work in partnership with parents/carers, pupils and external agencies to cater for children’s special educational needs and disabilities.
- Make provision for children with SEN to fully develop their abilities, interests and talents.
- Identify special educational needs at the earliest opportunity to ensure early intervention and support.
- Ensure all children with SEN are fully included in all aspects of school life.
- Regularly review policy and practice in order to achieve the best outcomes for all our pupils
What drives our school curriculum?
Our Curriculum Drivers (click on the link)
Wickham Market Long Term Curriculum Plan
If you have any further questions about our curriculum, please contact the school office.