Year 4/5 Class page
Welcome to the Year 4/5 class page!
I have been blown away by how well the pupils returned to school after the long period of time home learning. They have had to adapt to lots of these new routines but I am extremely impressed with how well they have organised themselves.
This term pupils will be learning about the ancient Egyptians in topic and the water cycle in science. They will be having ‘recovery’ lessons in Maths (place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) and English (sentence structure, punctuation, grammatical terms and word classes) to help the pupils to catch up/close any gaps due to lockdown. As well as the recovery lessons, pupils are receiving additional PSHE lessons to aid them in these current times. All children are currently being assessed for their reading level and will begin to bring reading books home this week. Due to the need to leave books quarantined before they are given to a new pupil, we are trying to limit how often pupils change their books so at times they may need to read the same book a couple of times for that week.
This year we will be setting homework on SeeSaw. The pupil’s logins should be the same as they were last year but I will send out their logins again. The homework will be set on Friday and will be expected to be submitted the following Thursday. The expectation is that:
- Children are reading every night and their reading journal signed. Due to limiting the amount we as staff are touching, we will ask the pupils to show us their reading diary and at most we will only be able to sign to say we have checked it.
- Pupils to spend 10 - 15 minutes on Times Tables Rock Stars 3 -5 times a week. I will again send out new login slips but the pupils’ details haven’t changed since last year
- Spellings will be set on SeeSaw every Friday with their test being the following. Pupils are expected to write their spellings on paper instead of typing them out and then send a photo via SeeSaw. I will explain this more on SeeSaw on Friday when I set the first homework.
- Closer to half term, the pupils will be given a project to complete about the Egyptians - more information will follow nearer the time
Year 5 pupils will be having swimming lessons on Monday, both years 4 and 5 will have a dance lesson with a specialist teacher on Wednesday and on Thursday they will have P.E. However, can they please always have their kits in school because this may change.
Homework will be handed out to the pupils every Friday starting this week and it will be expected to be handed in on the following Thursday. If pupils are finding the work difficult, I encourage them to come to me before Thursday so I can go through it with them.
Weekly homework is:
- Spellings – 10 spellings each week. Pupils are expected to learn these spellings
- Times tables/rapid recall – Pupils are expected to go onto Times Tables Rock Stars for 5 - 10 minutes everyday
- Reading – Pupils are expected to read every day but I do understand at times this is not always possible with clubs or other after school events. Please can an adult sign their reading journals to show that they have read
- Maths – An activity will be set on Maths Whizz which the pupils can complete online using a tablet or laptop. If pupils do not have access to these devices or the internet, I will be running a Maths Whizz lunchtime club for pupils to come to.
We are covering the following topics this year and we have a number of trips planned to further the pupils' understanding of the subject:
- Space - Autumn Term
- World War 2 - Spring Term
- Victorians - Summer Term
Pupils will be expected to complete projects over the half term holidays related to these projects. We will provide more information and examples closer to the time.